10 November 2008

Sarlat

Hello! I'm finally writing another post. I don't have a good excuse for not writing more often as I'm definitely not too busy. I just got back from a two week vacation last week and tomorrow is Armistice Day, Wednesdays I don't work and finally Thursday three of my classes are going to a movie. I have recently taken up cross stitching in the hopes that it will keep me busy for a while. My classes when I have them are going well. Every week something interesting happens and last week I learned that a girl in one of my classes just moved here from Portugal and doesn't speak any french. This would have been a great thing to know a month ago. I knew she was having problems understanding the directions so I would tell in French after I explained it in English and I would do an example with her but apparently that wasn't helping too much as I was speaking two languages she doesn't know. There are a of things that I don't know about my school still but I'm making progress. I have finally found the secretary's office but I don't know where the library is. I also don't know which bathroom to use because the teachers bathroom is always locked and not all of the teachers have a key which I don't understand. There is a kids bathroom but I dont' know if I'm allowed to use that. I would just ask the secretary all of these questions but she is the secretary/librarian/substitute teacher so she's usually pretty busy and hard to find. We discussed the election in most of my classes. It was an interesting conversation because it was too difficult for my students to understand in English so I had to try and explain it in French. I was very disappointed that I didn't get to watch CNN or any election coverage in English but there was a lady on French news who was obviously an American. She talked super slow and had an awful French accent. So basically I understood everything she said perfectly. I don't think I've explained French TV yet. For some reason they dub everything in this country which is super annoying. All the election speeches were in French and if they interview Americans they dub it in horrible French voices. For about an hour they showed CNN but they dubbed every minute of it! I even get to watch Days of Our Lives in French. Needless to say I am not impressed with French TV.
I spent the last weekend at my friend's parent's vacation home out in the countryside. It was nice to get out of Sarlat and my little apartment for awhile. We sat in front of the fireplace and watched CSI and Friends. It was wonderful.
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. If the American woman who gave the French translation for CNN is reading this, I apologise for Amanda's comment. I'm sure you sounded just fine.
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete