26 November 2008

Happy Turkey Day!

I almost had a full week of school this week with only one class being cancelled. It was a rather amusing week as I got to talk about Thanksgiving and how it started, why it started, and how we celebrate it. None of the kids could believe that we eat a turkey on Thanksgiving. They have turkey here but only turkey breast, you'd never find a whole turkey. I had the youngest kids make hand turkeys and write one thing they were thankful for on each finger but I had to keep reminding them that it was turkey not a chicken. They all keep asking if their chicken was pretty no matter how many times I told them it was turkey. I'm not sure how well they understand Thanksgiving but at least they've heard of it now. I'm still getting used to the discipline in the school. This week one kid who talks constently was drug from his seat in the front of the room to the back by his ear. I'm not sure who was more shocked, him because the teacher came up behind him or me. Regardless he was very well behaved for the rest of the class.

Last weekend I ventured out of Sarlat to visit Rocamadour a small town that is very famous for the discovery of a grave containing an undecayed body thought to be that of St. Amadour in 1166. It became a center of pilgrimage after and now is a very popular tourist destination. The town over looks the Alzou valley and it situated an the side of a cliff. Most shops were closed as it is the off season but I visited several of the chapels and saw the tomb of St. Amadour. Pictures will be coming shortly!

This Sunday will mark the two month anniversary of my arrival in France. I've gotten quite a bit accomplished in my short stay here. The move was definitely more difficult than I thought it would be. I knew that I wouldn't be very busy when I signed up for the assistantship and I thought it was going to be a wonderful break to read and relax. Well I wasn't exactly prepared for how relaxing it is. I think part of that has to do with how busy I've been the past three years -- which was all my own doing. I completed two BAs, worked 20-25 hours, was a member of French club, Political Science Club, College Democrats, Women's Coalition Honor's College, the Fair Trade club (most important of course), went to Model UN and every film event I could on campus. Looking back I may have been a bit crazy and maybe a little bit more like my mother than I'd care to admit (not the studious part, the always moving part). I've definitely had to find ways to entertain myself. The lady who runs the fabulous fabric store I frequent gave me a discount this week because I've bought so many cross-stitch patterns from her. Maybe not a good sign. I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of French TV programs at night. I think my French is progressing but slowly. I've definitely learned more practical French but I still mix up my tenses all the time, but I've got seven more months to figure them out.

-Amanda

1 comment:

  1. The French may have more to do with Thanksgiving than they know. See the NY Times article below.

    Andrew of Andrew and Amanda in Europe

    A French Connection
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/26/opinion/26davis.html

    ReplyDelete